Empanadas are a staple of Chilean food served either fried or baked. Fried are my favorite, especially when made of Pino (meat) or cheese. There are other kinds such as Napolitan (tomato and cheese) and Shrimp and Cheese. Hmm, just thinking about them made me hungry already!
Recently we celebrated “El 18,” which is the equivalent to the Fourth of July here in the States. We enjoyed Empanadas several times throughout the month, thanks to my Mom who made them for us.
The kids talk about Empanadas on a regular basis and if it was up to them, they would want to eat one every day! Therefore, I decided to surprise them with some play Empanadas that they can keep in their basket of play foods.
These Empanadas are made using the Amigurumi technique. The final piece will measure 5 inches approximately.
To be able to print How to Crochet an Empanada, download the FREE PDF here.
Materials: (Products contain affiliate links to Amazon.)
Hook: G or 4.0 mm
Yarn: Vanna’s Choice
HDC – Half Double Crochet
Sl St – Slip Stitch
DC – Double Crochet
Ch – Chain
Each round ends with an increase. In other words 2 HDC in the last stitch of each round.
Use a stitch marker to show the first stitch of each round. As a tip, if you don’t have one, use a hair clip or bobby pin that you can easily slide in and out.
To close the Empanada, you will be using DC in the front loops. You will SL ST in all four loops.
Start with Magic Ring
1. Start with Magic Ring, ch 2 and then 6 HDC. Close the Ring.
2. 2 HDC in each stitch.(12 total)
3. *1 HDC in first stitch, 2 HDC* repeat until end of round. (18 total)
4. *1 HDC in two stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat until end of round. (24 total)
5. *1HDC in three stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat until end of round. (30 total)
6. *1 HDC in four stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat until end of round. (36 total)
7. 1 HDC in five stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat until end of round. (42 total)
8. 1 HDC in six stitches, 2 HDC in next stitch* repeat until end of round. (48 total)
9. 1 SC in each stitch all around.
Fold your circle / basket in half now. You will know be working with the
10. Ch 1, *4 DC in front loops, sk 1, SL ST, sk 1,* repeat until almost done. Before closing up your Empanada, begin to stuff it with the poly-fil.
11. Finish up this row and close it up with a SL ST.
12. Fasten off.
Enjoy your new Empanada!
For the Spanish version, please go here. (It will be updated soon.)